Type to search

Education ielts

New USA Study & Work Permits-American Embassy


New USA Study & Work Permits-American Embassy



Student visas to for the United States

It is the American Embassy that issues student visas to the United States. As obtaining a visa to the USA can be a lengthy process, it is advisable to submit the application well ahead of the date by which you need entry for your education course in the USA. However, note that Embassies cannot issue your student visa more than 120 days in advance of the education course starting date. Students may not enter the country more than 30 days before their study start date.

To qualify for a student visa to the United States, you must have a residence abroad, and the intention to return to that residence upon completion of your education program. You must also have sufficient funds to support your course of study.

For more information about how to apply for a visa to study in the USA, please contact the American Embassy in your country.

Student Work Permit in the United States

As an undergraduate or postgraduate international student studying in the United States, employment is possible on a part-time basis for up to 20 hours every week. During the first year of education, students may only work on-campus, such as at the school’s gym, cafeteria, bookstore, or library. Working for 10 to 15 hours per week may be enough to cover books and personal expenses, but will not cover the majority of education costs.

After the first year of education in the USA, you may apply for a position as a residential assistant (RA). An RA oversees student housing, acting as a point of contact for any questions or issues students may have. In return, the RA is paid with free accommodation, and possibly a meal plan and/or small salary. In addition to being an RA, students who have completed their first year may apply for Curricular Practical Training which allows students to work as an intern or in a work/study program off-campus for up to 20 hours every week. If you are married and studying in the US on a F-1 student visa, your spouse may not work; if you are studying on a J-1 student visa, your spouse may acquire a temporary work permit.

Upon graduation from your education course in the USA, you may apply for an Optional Practical Training (OPT), which gives you the opportunity to work in the United States for 1 year after your final examination in a field related to your major area of study. An OPT may be extended if the employer approves you to continue your work in the United States.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: